Pennsylvania State University
Facilities Controls Engineer
https://www.psfei.psu.edu/ (PSFEI) is seeking a Facilities Controls Engineer to provide technical assistance in the areas of installation, testing, start up, programming, maintenance, and support for all aspects of Building Automation System (BAS) controls and automation systems. The successful candidate will have knowledge of, and experience with, the information technology (IT) aspects of managing and supporting the system, server, application, network, user accounts, and security for PSFEI clients.
PSFEI is a non-academic, external facing outreach department within the College of Engineering that provides a broad range of services to Pennsylvania state agencies (Agriculture, Corrections, General Services, Human Services, Labor and Industry, Military and Veterans Affairs, Transportation) and commissions (Historical and Museum Commission, Turnpike Commission), Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education, Penn State Hershey Medical Center, non-profit organizations, and the federal government that include engineering advisory services, energy procurement, and adult, non-credit education. Security clearances may be required for access to client sites.
• On-site technical assistance for evaluating and troubleshooting building heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning (HVAC) equipment and mechanical systems.
• Analyzing sequences of operations, setting up reports and data trends to assist in determining equipment utilization, troubleshooting errors in programing, and providing recommendations for optimizing building automation systems, HVAC environmental systems, and energy management systems and conservation measures.
• Participating in design reviews.
• Conducting surveys and studies of mechanical equipment and systems, as well as providing advice on best practice for operation and maintenance.
• Working closely with and assisting controls vendors with resolving complex Building Automation System (BAS) issues.
• Performing inspections and advising on maintenance, adjustment, and repair of controls equipment to ensure continuous and reliable operations.
• Maintaining basic security of BAS and control systems networks in coordination with department IT and electrical teams.
Required skills and experience:
• Knowledge of and hands-on experience working with and troubleshooting building automation and HVAC/mechanical systems.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills. The successful candidate must be able to interact with a variety of audiences including architects, engineers, IT staff, site administrators and maintenance staff, contractors, and agency directors, as well as author technical reports that are clear, concise, and actionable.
• Subject matter expertise to be able to provide briefings and education presentations on web-based BACnet control systems and HVAC/mechanical operations and maintenance.
• Hands-on experience with:
• Siemens, Delta, ICS, Automated Logic’s WebCTRL, or other control systems is strongly preferred.
• Troubleshooting and advising on the resolution of software, hardware, firmware, system, and network issues related to BAS and control systems networking.
• Familiarity with building mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems.
• Experience with developing and delivering adult, non-credit education content for half-day and multi-day courses.
Typical Education and Experience: Bachelor’s Degree or higher in an Engineering or Science discipline and 2 years related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Professional Engineer license accepted in lieu of Bachelor’s Degree.
Required Certifications, Registrations, or Licensure: Valid PA Driver’s License and ability to operate a motor vehicle is required. This position requires that you operate a motor vehicle as part of your job duties. A valid driver’s license and successful completion of a motor vehicle records check will be required in addition to standard background checks.
This position is based in State College, PA; however, travel throughout Pennsylvania is required (day and occasional overnight). Flexible work arrangements, such as remote or hybrid work opportunities from the successful candidate’s residence, will be considered.
Additional Information: Penn State offers competitive benefits to full-time employees, including medical, dental, vision, and retirement plans, in addition to generous vacation time (24 days per year; accrued 16 hours on a monthly basis), sick time (12 days a year; accrued 8 hours on a monthly basis) and paid holidays (14 per calendar year). Please visit https://hr.psu.edu/benefits for more detailed information.
Applications must include a cover letter and resume.
This is a limited-term appointment funded for three years from the date of hire with excellent possibility of refunding. PSFEI has been providing facilities management and operations technical advice to Commonwealth of PA agencies since 1947.
Our department is committed to advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in all of its forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusion that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value inclusion as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission.
Apply online at https://apptrkr.com/3651918
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS: For more about safety at Penn State, and to review the Annual Security Report which contains information about crime statistics and other safety and security matters, please go to http://www.police.psu.edu/clery/, which will also provide you with detail on how to request a hard copy of the Annual Security Report.
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.