University of Texas Permian Basin
HVAC Control Technician
The University of Texas Permian Basin’s Facilities Management welcomes applications for the position of HVAC Control Technician.
$69,000.00 to $75,0000.00 depending on qualifications
The HVAC Control Technician, under general direction by the University Director of Utilities and Energy Management in the division of Facilities Management, is responsible for managing and maintaining various systems and equipment including but not limited to Building Management Systems, chillers, boilers, AHU’s, emergency generators, air compressors, vacuum systems, water softeners, RO Systems (excluding apartments).The person in this role will operate, service and repair the above mentioned systems. You will also work along side WinSam staff as needed.
• Provide journeyman-level skilled work associated with pneumatic and electronic instrumentation and control systems to ensure efficient and effective control of building operational processes.
• Having a strong background in boilers, chillers, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems, with both electronic and pneumatic controls, you will operate, maintain, and program The University of Texas Permian Basin building automation systems.
• UTPB uses primarily Siemens and Schneider (TAC, CSI, Invensys) systems.
• Respond to heating and cooling trouble calls, interface with customers, and troubleshoot electronic and pneumatic control systems and components to maintain HVAC comfort control in university buildings.
• Performs preventive maintenance and calibrates electronic and pneumatic controls and sensors to prevent failures and to keep the building HVAC equipment operating at optimum performance for maximum energy conservation.
• Renovates and upgrades control systems to provide efficient operation of HVAC equipment and improve building comfort.
• Assists others as requested to help troubleshoot HVAC and other equipment to limit equipment downtime and resolve concerns related to the campus HVAC equipment.
• Interprets and works from drawings, specifications, and sketches for assigned projects to ensure university standards are maintained. Commissions control systems for new and renovation construction projects to ensure final control installation meets standards and functional requirements. Performs work independently from written or verbal instructions and in accordance with established safety procedures to complete tasks in a timely manner.
• Researches and recommends repair components and test equipment to assist in procuring components. Creates material lists and acquires materials for efficient work. Keeps accurate records of materials used and maintains daily time reports to efficiently complete work and document details of the functions performed. Keeps accurate and up-to-date documentation of all systems.
• Assists other shops and team members in the accomplishment of shop goals related to key performance indicators. Assists outside entities. Provides timely and courteous customer service and keeps supervisors up-to-date on daily work order status to ensure clear, concise, and necessary communication channels are maintained, and customer expectations are met.
• Gathers building HVAC and mechanical field data to facilitate analysis and improvement of HVAC performance. Participates in the On-Call Program.
1. High School Diploma or GED.
2. Associates Degree in technical field (Preferred).
3. Two (2)+ years’ experience with Building automation HVAC systems.
4. Basic knowledge of electronic controls and DDC’s.
5. Be familiar with the Siemens Desigo CC system or Schneider Building Automation (EcoStruxure), or other control system or have a desire to learn them.
1. Have an understanding of basic HVAC operation, e.g. boilers, chillers, pumps and fan Systems, VFD systems, and VAV boxes.
2. Needs to be familiar with a preventative maintenance and work order system and understand the importance of its use.
Required Application Materials
1. Cover Letter
3. List of References
4. Transcripts (Preferred)
5. Letters of Recommendation (Preferred)
Conditions of Employment
1. The job description is not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees. Employees may perform other related duties as assigned by their immediate supervisor.
2. Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance.
3. Once hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of the hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Applicants must be able to show proof of eligibility to work in the United States by time of hire. UTPB participates in e-Verify.
4. Employees must be able and willing to travel and perform duties away from campus as necessary and must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle, have access to a dependable motor vehicle, and possess a valid state driver’s license. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driver’s record.
5. Employment is contingent upon a successful background check.
6. UT Permian Basin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Generally, the hours for this position are Monday through Thursday, 7:30 – 5:30 pm; Friday, 8:00 am – 12:00 pm with a one-hour lunch. The individual holding this position may need to be available early morning, evening, and on weekends to meet the needs of the department. Hours worked may differ with some departments.
Standard Working Conditions
1. Able to lift various materials up to 25 pounds on an occasional basis.
2. Able to bend, crouch, and reach continuously.
3. Physically able remain seated, frequently to continuously.
4. Able to remain standing up to 15% of the time.
5. Possesses dexterity abilities required to perform job duties including extensive keyboard work, operating office equipment, performing filing, and other job-related responsibilities that include extensive wrist and hand movement.
6. Standard working conditions may differ depending on department and occupation
1. UT Permian Basin offers an excellent compensation package including Heath, Retirement, & Fringe Benefits for employees.
2. Coverage includes Medical, Prescriptions, Life Insurance, AD&D, and matching retirement provided by UTPB for the employee.
3. You may also add Dental, Vision, Family, Spending Accounts, Additional Retirement, and a few other coverages as options too.
4. Fringe benefits include Tuition Reimbursement (after one year of service), Wellness Breaks, Employee Assistant Program (EAP), and meal deals, among other perks and discounts!
5. Our benefits package, along with an ample leave policy, make for a great total compensation package.
About the University
The University of Texas Permian Basin is located in Odessa, Texas. It was authorized by the Texas Legislature in 1969 and founded in 1973. The Permian Basin is one of the fastest-growing, culturally vibrant, economically invigorated regions of the country – full of industry, culture, and wide-open spaces. At the academic heart of this area sits The University of Texas Permian Basin – which every year, delivers smart, savvy leaders across the U.S.
As a regional, comprehensive institution, The University of Texas Permian Basin serves a diverse community of students from the region, the state, and beyond. Through excellence in student-centered teaching, learning, research, and public service, the University cultivates engaged citizens and impacts lives while advancing the technology and public interests of West Texas.
Our vision is that the University of Texas Permian Basin will be an innovative, responsive university that thinks large and lives local. We will lead in advancing education, research, economic competitiveness, and cultural enrichment.
Visit our social media sites below for more information.
Thank you for your consideration in today’s job market. We look forward to connecting with you more in the future.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4669245