California State University, Northridge
HVAC/R Mechanical Maintenance Supervisor
Job no: 524898
Work type: Staff
Categories: Unit 6 – Teamsters Local 2010, Administrative, Custodial/Facilities, Probationary, Full Time, Marketing/Communications, Safety, Trades, On-site (work in-person at business location)
CSUN strives to be a destination workplace, where everyone understands that they belong to a community that is vital in advancing student success and providing exemplary service to all stakeholders. We foster an environment of success, both for our students and our employees. We have a relentless passion for celebrating diversity, equity, and inclusion as well as being an employer of choice. You will also have the opportunity to realize your own personal goals and be recognized for the work you do, and enjoy the unique value the CSUN community can offer. If this sounds like you, you’ve come to the right place. Learn more: https://www.csun.edu/about-csun.
Under general supervision of the Assistant Director of Engineering Services, the HVAC/R Mechanical Maintenance Supervisor supervises the daily operations of the HVAC/R Mechanical Maintenance Team, and performs various administrative tasks associated with department operations. The incumbent coordinates the work of one or more small groups or crews consisting of skilled multi-trade crafts workers and assistants of various skill levels in support of campus maintenance, repair, construction and renovation of various facilities and structures.
• Prioritizes and coordinates the work of the building HVAC/R Mechanical Maintenance team, provides comprehensive technical project leadership, acts as liaison with customers, and coordinates job estimates.
• Ensures supplies and materials are available for jobs, assigns work to qualified crew members, provides overall staff technical leadership, determines necessary materials, supplies, equipment and staffing to complete work orders and preventive maintenance schedules.
• Maintains and performs a mechanical equipment preventative maintenance program on HVAC/R Mechanical systems and other equipment, inspects systems on regular intervals, replaces filters, adjusts belts, and lubricates and replaces bearings.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
*NOTE: To view the full position description including all of the required qualifications copy and paste this link into your browser: https://bit.ly/3IXFFIe
• Equivalent to two years of full-time experience working as a journey-level crafts worker in one or more building trades including some experience in a lead/supervisory capacity.
• Must have demonstrated achievement of journey-level skills equivalent to those acquired through the completion of an applicable apprenticeship program, as well as experience in a lead or supervisory capacity.
• Experience in large commercial or institutional multi-site environments and/or in Central Plant and educational environments preferred.
• LICENSE: CANDIDATE MUST POSSESS A VALID CALIFORNIA DRIVER’S LICENSE. EPA Universal Certification preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Thorough knowledge of: methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in the building and construction trades; effective supervisory practices and techniques; job design and work sequencing related to construction projects; and applicable state and federal safety, building and construction codes and regulations;
• Ability and specialized skills to: operate all applicable building tools and equipment; plan and direct the work of skilled crafts workers and their assistants; determine and coordinate staffing, material, and equipment needs for multiple jobs and projects; perform basic design work; read blueprints; work from plans and specifications; prepare rough sketches; analyze and respond appropriately to emergency situations; ensure accuracy and maintenance of assigned record-keeping systems; prepare reports; read and write at a level appropriate for the position; perform arithmetic calculations as required by the position; and establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
• Ability to: handle assignments which are broad in nature and complex in scope and to perform analytical and/or procedural tasks with a high degree of autonomy; manage multiple priorities; adapt to varying work environments and to deal with frequent changes and unexpected events; climb ladders, access HVAC/R systems, lift up to 50 lbs. and work in confined spaces.
• Must possess: strong communication (verbal and written) and organizational skills; thorough skills in operating HVAC controls (DDC and pneumatic), large air handling systems, Dual-duct, VAV, CAV, single zone, multi-zone, hot water & electric reheat, DX equipment, split, package, mini-split, exhaust systems, hydronic systems; commercial refrigeration / freezer equipment / systems; chilled and hot water pumps and piping, air balancing, Title 24, and Variable Frequency Drives.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
• The university offers an excellent benefits package, including but not limited to: medical, dental, vision, retirement & savings, tuition waiver and more.
• Classification/grade: 6265 / Facilities Project Supervisor / 1
• The anticipated HIRING RANGE: $6829 – $7899 per month, dependent upon qualifications and experience. The salary range for this classification is: $6829 – $8655 per month.
• HOURS: Full Time; 40 hours per week; 7:00am – 3:30pm; Monday through Friday; some evenings, weekends, and overtime as needed.
• REG: This is a Regular position with a one-year probationary period.
• The individual hired for this role will physically work on-campus in Northridge. This is not a telecommute position.
• This job opening has been re-posted and will remain OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
• This position is a sensitive position as designated by the CSU.
• A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
• The person holding this position may be considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
• In accordance with the California State University (CSU) Out-of-State Employment Policy, the CSU is a state entity whose business operations reside within the State of California and prohibits hiring employees to perform CSU-related work outside of California.
• Candidates should apply by completing the CSUN on-line application. To submit an application and for more detailed information on the application and hiring process, please visit this link: www.csun.edu/careers
• The CSU recommends that faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities at any university location be immunized against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, and that all individuals who access any in-person program or activity (on- or off-campus) operated or controlled by the University follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications and comply with other safety measures established by each campus.
Equal Employment Opportunity
CSUN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, covered military and veteran status, and disability. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Recruitment Services at 818-677-2101.
Advertised: Feb 01, 2024 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time
Applications close: Open until filled
To apply: https://apptrkr.com/4993094