HVAC Technician, Preventative Maintenance Mechanic
Requisition Number: 2022S018Posting
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Division: Finance and Administration
Department: Facilities – Trades
“One Team, One Mission”
It is the mission of the Facilities Department at Colgate University to create the safest, cleanest, and most comfortable environment that further distinguishes Colgate University as a world-class educational institution.
We work hard as part of a unified team, to make everyone who arrives on campus feel welcome. It is our vision to be an exceptionally run facilities department that is dedicated to exemplary service, environmental stewardship, operational efficiency, teamwork, and fiscal responsibility.
- Maintains and repairs all plumbing, heating, ventilation, air conditioning (HVAC) and refrigeration components on campus as required.
- Conducts layouts for assigned jobs, reads, interprets, provides material labor estimates, orders materials, and translates prints into a finished product.
- Maintains accurate records of materials used and time spent on assignments.
- Maintains a working knowledge of control system principles, HVAC systems, fire alarm systems, electrical motors, chemical treatment and filtration of swimming pools, chillers, water softening equipment, and refrigeration systems.
- Requires the ability to work independently, as well as collegially and effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students, visitors and contractors on a daily basis.
- Must be able to coordinate own work with other trade shops and departments.
- Requires the ability to use computers for work order entries (material & labor needs) and campus energy management system to monitor building conditions.
At least one of the following is required:
- Certificate from an accredited apprentice program in the field.
- Graduation from certified trade school plus one year experience in the field.
- Proof of five consecutive years’ experience in HVAC, Plumbing or Electrical field.
Ability to diagnose complex system issues without guidance required.
Ability to work independently and with a team, and outside contractors required.
Must be available to work evenings, nights and weekend hours as required.
Consideration will be given to candidates that may meet a partial combination of experience, with the position being awarded at the Mechanic level. Mechanic level candidates will be required to participate in training assignments to progress, outside work schedule, towards becoming a Journeyperson HVAC Technician. Mechanics will be assigned to the 2nd or 3rd shift during their training period to Journeyperson status and will then be eligible to bid on day positions as they become available.
A trade school degree is desirable.
A minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent is required, or a combination of education and experience from which comparable skills are attained.
Colgate bargaining unit employees must apply by February 15, 2022 in order to be considered.
Midnights: Saturday – Wednesday 11:00pm-7:00am; Thursday and Friday off
The shift may vary based on the needs of the University.
Job Open Date:
Job Close Date:
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions Summary
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking, familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
CAMPUS CRIME REPORTING AND STATISTICS
The Campus Safety Department will provide upon request a copy of Colgate’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. This report includes statistics as reported to the United States Department of Education for the previous three years concerning reported: 1. crimes that occurred on-campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Colgate University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus and 2. fires that occurred in student housing facilities. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security and fire safety, such as policies concerning sexual assault, life safety systems, and other related matters. To obtain a copy, contact the Campus Safety Compliance Manager via e-mail at [email protected]. You may also access the report from the Campus Safety web page at: https://www.colgate.edu/offices/support/campussafety.
To view the full job posting and apply for this position, go to: https://apptrkr.com/2858282