Victor Valley College
Job Title: MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN – (HVAC)
Opening Date/Time: Thu. 07/01/21 12:00 AM Pacific Time
Closing Date/Time: Fri. 08/13/21 11:59 PM Pacific Time
Job Type: Full-time
Department: Administrative Services
FLSA: Non-exempt position, eligible for overtime compensation.
Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC)
Under the direction of the Director of Maintenance and Operations, perform a variety of journey-level duties related to designing, maintaining and controlling the District energy management system; maintain, troubleshoot and repair district HVAC equipment; perform construction, maintenance and repair in one or more of the building or construction maintenance trades; perform semi-skilled to skilled maintenance duties in trade areas outside of area of specialty; maintain regulatory records pertaining to the use of refrigeration and ozone depleting substances.
- Perform a variety of journey-level duties related to designing, maintaining and controlling the District’s energy management system to control the timing and duration of energy use by the heating and air ventilation systems.
- Design, install, operate, program, maintain, troubleshoot and repair the Energy Management System’s components, including controls, timing and metering devices, chillers, air handlers and related equipment in order to achieve optimum utility usage.
- Perform maintenance, troubleshoot and repair District heating and air conditioning equipment; maintain and repair boilers, hot water and gas heaters, circulation pumps, air compressors, exhaust and circulating fans, and air conditioning equipment.
- Maintain regulatory records pertaining to the use of refrigeration and ozone depleting substances.
- Perform journey-level construction, maintenance and repair in one or more of the building or construction maintenance trades including plumbing, electrical, carpentry, HVAC, painting, and concrete; perform semi-skilled to skilled maintenance duties in trade areas outside of area of specialty.
- Install, maintain and repair building structures and fixtures such as ceiling and floor tile, partitions, doors, cabinets, windows, electrical switches and fixtures and heating and air conditioning equipment; patch holes in damaged dry wall and plaster.
- Install, maintain, repair and perform preventive maintenance to plumbing fixtures, water lines and waste disposal systems; cut, thread and replace water pipes; install and maintain toilets, sinks, faucets, drinking fountains, water heaters and new water lines; replace defective parts in plumbing fixtures and systems.
- Perform emergency repairs and adjustments to plumbing equipment including broken pipes, cleaning plugged drains, replacing washers, faucets and valves, cleaning grease traps and flushing or unplugging sewer lines.
- Inspect, repair and maintain electrical and lighting components and systems, such as conduit and duct systems, power circuits, motor appliances, generators, breaker panels and other electrical equipment; install new wiring, plugs, lights and circuit breakers; lubricate, adjust and repair electrical equipment; assure compliance with applicable building codes and safety regulations.
- Refinish furniture, cabinets and other wood items; install wall paneling and wall partitions; install cabinets and shelves; construct walls and hang doors and paneling; install and repair roofing.
- Prepare surfaces for painting; mix and apply paint to match or cover walls, ceilings, fences and other surfaces; perform touch-up painting; paint interior and exterior surfaces; erect, rig and move scaffolding and platforms; paint parking lot spaces, directional arrows, handicapped areas and curbs.
- Construct, repair and maintain equipment; perform basic repair and fabrication of metal items using soldering and welding equipment.
- Operate a variety of equipment, machinery and hand and power tools including trucks and other vehicles, personal computer, flow meters, refrigeration test equipment, gauges, meters, saws, pipe cutter and threader, trencher, soldering and welding equipment and pneumatic tools.
- Contact vendors to order parts as needed for HVAC equipment.
- Communicate with administrators, skilled maintenance personnel, contractors and others concerning construction, maintenance and repair issues.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school and up to five (5) years journey-level HVAC and/or energy management experience.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Valid California driver’s license.
Valid EPA Retrieval and Reclamation Certificate.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Indoor, Outdoor and Shop Environment:
Position requires heavy lifting (over 50 pounds), standing and walking for extended periods of time, bending at the waist, climbing, crawling, kneeling, reaching, pulling, pushing, carrying, climbing ladders and working at heights or in cramped or restrictive work chambers, dexterity of hands and fingers to operate equipment, hand and power tools, seeing to observe needed repair and driving from site to site to conduct work.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to an outdoor and shop environment subject to adverse weather conditions and noise from equipment operation. The employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts, high voltage, Freon, gas from heaters and boilers, carbon monoxide, fumes, and dirt. Employee is subject to callouts for emergencies and building and air temperature issues.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Energy management systems and the related control, design, installation and maintenance of such systems and components.
- EPA regulations related to the use of refrigeration and ozone depleting substances.
- Standard tools, equipment, materials, methods and techniques used in the maintenance of HVAC equipment as well as building and construction maintenance trades.
- Operation and proper maintenance of tools, equipment and machinery used in the maintenance of HVAC equipment as well as building and construction maintenance trades.
- Requirements of maintaining buildings, facilities and vehicles in good repair.
- Applicable building codes, ordinances, fire regulations and safety precautions.
- Proper methods of storing equipment, materials and supplies.
- Health and safety practices, regulations and procedures.
- Basic math.
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Maintain and control the District’s energy management system.
- Perform a variety of journey-level maintenance and repair of District facilities and equipment.
- Design and install major maintenance systems, including but not limited to, electrical, plumbing and remodel of facilities.
- Perform a variety of semi-skilled to skilled maintenance and repair independently or as a member of a crew.
- Operate a variety of maintenance equipment including a vehicle, pipe cutter and threader, welding equipment, gauges and meters, rotor drain cleaner, trencher, HVAC specialty tools and a variety of hand and power tools.
- Maintain records and prepare reports.
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
- Work cooperatively with others, including those from diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic and disability backgrounds.
- Perform heavy physical labor.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Observe legal and defensive driving practices.
THIS POSITION IS A FULL-TIME, (12) MONTH, $45,276.00 ANNUALLY (LEVEL 12 OF THE CLASSIFIED SALARY SCHEDULE).
Appointment to this position is subject to availability of funds. *Salary Schedule subject to change.*
Campus hours are 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., Monday through Friday, and some weekend classes. The current hours of this position are Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., with some possible evenings and weekends. Hours of employment are subject to change based on student or departmental needs.
To be considered a candidate for this position, all materials required should be received in the Victor Valley College Office of Human Resources by the First Review Date. Application materials may be accepted after this date, however, if a file is not complete by the First Review Date, the application may not be considered by the Screening Committee.
You may check your status at any time by logging into Victor Valley College Online Application Site at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/vvc/ with your username and password.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all requested materials are received. All material included in the application packet become District property, will not be returned, and will not be copied.
All information qualifying an applicant for the position must be included on the Victor Valley College application. To assist the District in determining whether an applicant meets the minimum requirements, descriptions of an applicant’s present and past job duties should include details pertinent to the position for which he/she is applying.
Applicants may be notified by email during any phase of this recruitment regarding status. This recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies.
Resumes will be accepted with applications. Please note that the information provided on the application must be complete and will be the only information used to determine qualifications for the position. Please take this requirement very seriously. If it is unclear whether an applicant meets the minimum qualifications for the position from the application, that applicant will be disqualified.
It is not unusual for the District to receive hundreds of applications for a position. For this reason, it is advantageous to make the application as easy to review as possible.
Candidates wishing to apply for more than one position must apply for each position separately.
A complete file consists of all of the following:
- Completed electronically signed Victor Valley College application
- Valid California state driver’s license may be acquired within thirty (30) days of employment
- Valid EPA Retrieval and Reclamation Certificate. (Copies of certificate or acknowledgement stating that you will complete within a year of employment must accompany application – please attach as other in the appropriate attachment page).
To apply, please view: https://apptrkr.com/2385006
Victor Valley College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Victor Valley College prohibits sexual harassment and assures that all employees will enjoy equal opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or status as a veteran. Employment acceptance or rejection shall be based on job-related qualifications.